Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I STEPPED AWAY FROM SERVING TOO MUCH...

I love the feeling of peace and joy God gives when you know you are right where you're supposed to be. I used to think I always needed to do more to serve...I felt like it was never enough, that I needed to add more good works/volunteer hours to my plate...to feel fulfilled/satisfied/enough...and then one day, things started to click and I started stepping back...EVEN from some of my ministries at church. I had to re-focus and re-evaluate what my priorities are to be for THIS SEASON of my life. Seasons change, and with that, some priorities will change too. See, we only have our children for a short season. Just the other day, I realized that ONE THIRD of my time raising my kids is OVER!...and it caused me to re-think my (outside) ministry life even more...because MY FAMILY IS MY NUMBER ONE MINISTRY!  and many days...THAT IS ENOUGH! On my desktop background, I have a quote by Andy Stanley, "Your greatest contribution to the Kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise." This hit home and was exactly what I needed to hear on those days when I feel like I should be doing more outside my home. In a world full of distractions, even via "ministry" and good intentions, our enemy, Satan, pulls away from what is BEST in exchange for what is just good, if we're not alert. He is seeking to devour us (Ephesians 6)...and taking us away from the training of our children in exchange for us doing good for others to the point of exhaustion or just not having time to stop and disciple our children is one way he can "subtly" rob us. This is HUGE. I CHOOSE to live simply and focus on discipling my kids to love and serve Jesus. I do not exist to burn myself out in outside ministry to the neglect of my family. God has blessed me with 3 beautiful children and while I am supposed to lead them by example, part of that is teaching them how to pour their life into their family at home. And if my ministry outside my home is robbing me who I am to be inside my home, that tells me it is not the time for me to be serving in that particular ministry. There will come a day when I serve (more) with my children outside my home but now is not the right time for me...or for my children. My current role is to raise little disciples in my home. THEY are my priority. There is nothing small about this God-given responsibility. It is one of the most important things I will ever do, and I should never look at it as if it's NOT ENOUGH! That is a lie from the enemy in attempts to make me FEEL defeated. I say FEEL because it's just a FEELING...because I am NOT defeated in Christ. In Christ, I am an OVER-COMER! And by the grace of God, so are my children.

Ephesians 1:22-23...I am part of Christ's body! I function as part of him, along with other believers, to fulfill his kingdom agenda right where He has placed me. I only have 15 years left for my kids to be kids and I KNOW that this is my season primarily at home. And that's OK :D.

And a side-note to my single friends. Paul says in 1 Corinthains 7:7...Being single is a gift from God! Being married is also a gift from God! Either way - we are to be content right where God has us...and to live a life worthy of our calling Being single we have so much ability to pour our lives into outside ministry into people, our church, and in other organizations. Bottom line - WHEREVER GOD HAS YOU, SERVE HIM WITH ALL YOUR HEART HOWEVER YOU CAN! :D Whether married or single, don't compare yourself to others - that is not wise! Look to Jesus and seek his heart for how you live out your days. Make them count :).

Ephesians 5:10 "Carefully determine what pleases the Lord (v15) So be careful how you live. Don't be like fools, but like those who are wise. (16) Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. (17) Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. (Eph 6:7) Work with enthusiasm! You are working for the LORD, not for people! (8) Remember the LORD will reward us for the good we do!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh sister! How I wish more mamas "got" this! I'm on the other end of the child-rearing years. I have one in college & 2 teenagers who grow up & make me wish them small again every day. I don't have the slightest bit of regret about the years I stayed home and let them be my focus. But even when they were younger (than they are now) I started diving into ministry & I wish I had stepped back a little more. THIS quote bears repeating: "And if my ministry outside my home is robbing me who I am to be inside my home, that tells me it is not the time for me to be serving in that particular ministry." Amen girl! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging words Liz :)

    ReplyDelete