Saturday, February 21, 2015

EXCESS EQUALS STRESS

I used to sit on my couch at any random point in the day (or anywhere in my house for that matter), longing for a feeling peace amid the clutter but feeling a tension inside of me. Thoughts of "I wish my flat surfaces were completely clear" would constantly pass through my mind...I knew then I would feel the "no-clutter-peace" I was looking for. I would close my eyes and imagine it. It felt great. I could see how wonderful it would be to come to the end of my day and be able to feel good about my accomplishments and organized house. Thoughts of grabbing a box and just swiping would follow next. At least I would have peace of mind then. For me, clutter on my counters makes my mind feel cluttered, and it's unsettling to me. The thought of swiping everything into a box isn't much better because what if there's something in that box that I need and forget about? It's a viscous mental cycle of thinking I need everything I have to live a happy life but all the while struggling with all the stuff I've accumulated. It felt like a cyclical battle that I would never ever win. Then one day in January of 2015, after the kids had gone to bed, I started listening to minimalist talks on YouTube, searching for inspiration, while cleaning up my kitchen. The first two talks I heard inspired me so much that I continued to search and listen for THREE AND A HALF HOURS while going through every drawer and cabinet in my kitchen, getting rid of anything that was excess! These talks helped me to realize that excessive stuff was robbing me of my joy and that NOTHING would fix my problem EXCEPT for getting rid of the excess. At the end of the night. I FELT AMAZING. This was the start of a new beginning for me. I could feel it. I was NOT going to stop there. THIS MINIMALIST MENTALITY was the path to the feeling in my house that I had been craving. Almost a month later, it takes being intentional every day to maintain what I have done...but with so much less stuff in my kitchen, even less dishes and silverware, it is 100 times easier than before!

You can view one of the talks here: (I am having trouble linking the other one so maybe next time!)





If you're up for it, my challenge for you today is to go through your kitchen and remove anything you have doubles of and also things that haven't been used in the last 6 - 12 months. Remove anything that is excess or "just-in-case."  If you're not ready to completely get rid of them, put them in a box and throw that box into the attic or elsewhere so you can experience the joy of less. Keep only what is NEEDED on your counter top. If it can be hidden, hide it. And then sit back, and enjoy the peace of a clean, decluttered kitchen :).




No comments:

Post a Comment